Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Stupid grouse. I hate those birds!!

Grouse are probably the most terrifying thing in the forest. Probably more than bears. I haven't actually seen a bear in the forest yet though, just grouse. I nearly messed my pants today, hearing a grouse fly up into the trees when I wasn't expecting it. Scary stuff. Hahahahahaha I'm just a big wuss about noises. There was a wolf howling somewhere near us last night, and I totally woke up in a cold sweat, totally thought it was the dog (Patches, he's such a great dog, makes me want a dog), until discussing this at breakfast today. One of the other traverse groups found a baby grouse (or mountain chicken, as another group likes to call them), and have adorable photos with it.

Today's traverse was good, aside from the grouse situation. We hiked up a pack trail until this huge debris flow (basically a small landslide with trees and stuff in it, it was pretty fresh though, not solid yet. My head geo sunk in up to his calf. Thank God for gaiters!), and then hiked down into this creek which we crossed with a log. After we crossed the creek, we realized there was this epic 12 meter outcrop on the OTHER side of the creek. So, we crossed the creek again, mapped the outcrop and then crossed back to the west side of 16 Mile Creek. It was a bit ridiculous, as the log was kinda sketch. Oh well, we survived. We basically just hiked up the ridge north of our camp all day, and then hiked down back to camp. It was decent weather, no rain, but the wind was pretty blustery. The cliffs coming back to camp were pretty bad though. Worse than I thought they would be. My toes are pretty sore thanks to those cliffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment