Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Frost.

We lost the garden to frost last night.

Yes. Frost. On July 5th. Victoria (where I live), is in the middle of a 'heat wave' (I bet it's only 25 or 30 degrees), yet here, we are consistently below zero at night. During the day it gets warm(ish), especially when hiking uphill, so it's almost like experiencing two seasons every day. Fleece and wool socks at night, and tshirts and sunglasses during the day. It's a bit frustrating, but at least it's not raining. Mostly because then it would be snowing.

The horses arrived the other day here. The place we're in is a bit of a ranch, and the couple here keeps horses during the summer. Apparently the horses are free to range around the woods, which is neat, I guess, if you like horses. I do not really like horses at all. They are probably one of the most terrifying creatures I have ever encountered (aside from grouse, obviously). So when I got home from trav yesterday, it kinda shocked me. Today, when the helicopter took off, one of the horses was spooked and had a bit of a freak-out. They were fine this afternoon though. I guess I'll be learning to like horses this summer.

Speaking of helicopters.....tomorrow. For real this time. We finally organized days off, so two of the students are off tomorrow, and then me and another girl are off the day after (Friday). So, one more day of work, and then a day of relaxation! I think Catie and I are planning on sleeping in, going into town, stocking up on beer, maybe hitting up the lake, and just doing nothing all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment