Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Some hot chocolate with my marshmallows.

I've been playing around with Google Maps, and figured out how to plot all my traverses and fly camps so that everyone can see where I've been! I'm going to be updating it more, and hopefully putting dates on all those traverses, because some of them are from a while ago. I bet on one of my days off I'll just bang them all out. 

It's been a good couple of days back in camp though. Yesterday, I went out on traverse with one of the other students. It was a solid day. We saw six cariboo (two sets of three), and some contacts between an intrusive unit (Pallen Creek Pluton, a hornblende-biotite quartz monzodiorite with rare titanite) and the Stuhini (augite porphyry). Pretty cool. It was all in the alpine, so no bushwacking, and even though we had some epic rainshowers, it was generally not too bad. It was a shorter traverse, only about 4km or so. 

We got off to a slow start today, due to a low ceiling. The fog was low enough that we couldn't see over the ridge we wanted to get over. We ended up driving into the airport and leaving from there around 9:30 instead of the usual 8am. Oh boy was it ever cold out this morning though!! It was about 5 degrees, plus there was a howling wind all day (which kept the mosquitos away, but also kept my toque on all day too). I'm going to be digging out my longjohns again for tomorrow. Ooooooh boy. It's been chilly enough that we're having hot chocolate after traverses. I can't believe the weather up here still. It's just nuts. 

I took some photos of Hluey Lakes today, but I haven't uploaded them yet. Maybe tomorrow or the next day! I should have a rain-day in a few days; apparently this evil storm is brewing somewhere west of here and should blow through on Friday or so. We'll see. Sometimes these storms just evaporate and never arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment