Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Harden the F*ck Up.

As it was said to my coworker, from my boss today. The bush was real bad, let's just say that from the outset. Like real bad. I have a photo where you can hardly see me (wearing a hi-vis cruiser vest) one meter away from the photographer. Seriously. I'll post it at some point, but holy eff was it bad.

Our trav started out well, we drove out to the Hluey Lakes Reservoir area, and hiked through sediments all day (sandstone, conglomerate, laminated siltstones). It was a good day, lots of bedding ("This outcrop has more bedding than Ikea!") and the bush wasn't too bad really, until about 3:30 or 4pm.

We hit our second-last outcrop, and had to climb up over a bump to get to our last outcrop. It was probably only 300m or so, but it took a solid half hour or 45 minutes to get there. Ridiculous. Just really thick buckbrush, lots of it, and it wasn't bendy, so you couldn't even move it to slide past. At our last outcrop, we decided to head for a ridge that was above the rock, thinking we could escape the bush by heading up. This was probably the worst decision we could have made. That was the worst bush I've seen this month for sure, maybe even the whole time up here. It didn't help that we had an 8km trav behind us, but we went straight for the swamp. Yes, we chose a swamp over the bush. The swamp was easier going...kind of. It was deep swampiness, thick with moss and mud and water. It was brutal. My legs are killing me, but that may have been because I was challenged to a footrace for the last swampy 50m or so. I nearly died, and I only won because the truck that was our ending point conveniently rolled towards me. But I won, and that's the important part.

I think I have an office day or a day off tomorrow, so I will post some photos tomorrow. I have some good coloured leaf photos from today, proof it's autumn, or will be soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment